- 1 INTRODUCTION:
- 2 WHAT ARE AIR PURIFIERS?
- 3 FILTERS:
- 4 THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE SELECTING THE BEST AIR PURIFIERS:
- 5 DO I NEED AN AIR PURIFIER?
- 6 WHERE SHOULD I BUY AIR PURIFIERS?
- 7 BEST AIR PURIFIER THAT FITS MY REQUIREMENTS
- 8 ADDITIONAL FEATURES THAT I NEED TO CHECK BEFORE BUYING AN AIR PURIFIER
- 9 BEST PLACE TO KEEP MY AIR PURIFIER
- 10 WHAT ARE THE MAINTENANCE COSTS OF AIR PURIFIER?
- 11 THE AIR PURIFIER THAT I SHOULD BUY
Pollution, Pollutants, and Public – They are inter-related. Concerns over the present pollution levels in the environment are increasing.
With the attack of the corona pandemic, the world is now moving towards a much cleaner and hygiene environment. In this regard, air purifiers play a pivotal role in maintaining a hygiene environment at home.
Improving air quality at home starts with personal hygiene. An interest over personal hygiene will definitely drive them to a cleaner environment.
- Avoiding smoking: Smoking produces large and dangerous particulate matter that easily mixes with air and pollutes it. Secondarily it also aids in passive smoking, which is inexcusable.
- Clean and tidy pets: Pets play an important role in polluting the home environment. The fur of animals and their dander should be cleaned regularly. Asthmatic people should be more cautious while dealing with pets.
- Leaky door and window corners: Leakage indoor and window corners should be checked regularly and should be correct if found.
- Regular cleaning of dust attracting equipment at home: Equipment like Fans, Curtains carry a lot of dust with them and should be cleaned regularly.
- Regular cleaning of Chimneys: Chimneys carry a lot of dust around them mixed with oil. Hence they should be cleaned regularly.
- Running exhaust fans in kitchens and bathrooms help in maintaining a healthy environment.
WHAT ARE AIR PURIFIERS?
They are specially designed appliances to improve the quality of air in homes or offices. They aid in cleaning dust, smoke and particulate matter like pollen grains, sand particles, etc from the air.
There are many types of filters available in air purifiers. Hence let us try to understand them.
HEPA AIR PURIFIER
Air cleaners with HIGH-EFFICIENCY PARTICULATE AIR FILTERS (HEPA FILTERS) aid in air filtering. They are made of microfibers of 0.5 microns in diameter, which are arranged in sheets over one another.
But the main disadvantage of HEPA filters is, they cannot remove odors from the air.
ACTIVATED CARBON FILTERS
The second type of filter uses ACTIVATED CARBON FILTER (Carbon filters). These carbon filters are best suited to remove Volatile organic compounds from the environment.
They are best De-odorizers (removes smells efficiently) available in the market.
UV LIGHT FILTERS
The third type of air filter uses Ultraviolet (UV) light to purify the air. But they mostly aid in removing organic particles like bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
HENCE THE UNITED STATES ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY (EPA) contradicts usage of Electrostatic air purifiers with ozone at home.
Most of these filters in air purifiers should be replaced once in 6 months to a year.
Hence Buyers should find out whether their filters are permanent or temporary before buying the product.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE SELECTING THE BEST AIR PURIFIERS:
Before selecting an air purifier, we should check these following points:
CAPACITY OF MACHINE:
Always check for the capacity of purifiers. High capacity purifiers are more efficient in large rooms.
If you are thinking to buy an air purifier for your living room, think of buying high capacity air purifiers, as these rooms involve more dust with good airflow.
TYPE OF FILTER:
Know the type of filter it has and also the number of filters it contains. Some machines contain a washable pre-filter which aids in cleaning larger particles before the filter. They help in extending the life span of filters.
Timers help in programming the device to autorun at a specific time. The turn on and turn off options aid in better handling of the machine.
Machines with indicators to replace or to clean the filters stand out in proving high performance, as they are cleaned regularly.
Machines with dirt analyzer help in understanding the dirt level in the environment and automatically adjusts the purification speed.
CARD stands for CLEAN AIR DELIVERY RATE. It quantifies the amount of clean air that the machine can deliver. In simple words, it denotes the amount of purification the machine is capable of.
High CARD machines are good for large rooms like halls, while low CARD machines are apt for small bedrooms.
ACH (AIR CHANGES PER HOUR):
It indicates the number of times the air purifier cleans the room in an hour. Eg: If ACH is set to 6, it means the machine purifies the room every 10 minutes (60 minutes / 6 = 10 minutes).
Check for the minimum and the maximum ACH available with the machine.
DO I NEED AN AIR PURIFIER?
The only way to maintain a hygiene environment in our room is to have a good air purifier.
The number of patients suffering from air born allergies like asthma is increasing day by day. The center for disease control (CDC) has published astonishing facts about asthma.
- More than 25 million people in America are suffering from asthma.
- One in every 13 people suffer from asthma in America.
- Presently, more than 6 million children under 18 years, suffer from asthma.
Finally, it is your decision, whether to use an air purifier or not. Some may not consider it worthy. But it is definitely not an unworthy instrument at home.
WHERE SHOULD I BUY AIR PURIFIERS?
You can buy air purifiers online or offline stores. These gadgets are widely available now. But online products have an edge over the price.
The best online stores are Amazon and Walmart.
For a wide range of products and models, you can search online. But if you have a confirmed model in your mind, you can buy it even from a local store where the stocks are available.
BEST AIR PURIFIER THAT FITS MY REQUIREMENTS
Air purifiers come in different sizes with different capacities. The required size of the air purifier depends on the room, in which you use it.
BEST AIR PURIFIER FOR LARGE ROOMS
A living room or hall requires a high capacity air purifier. On the other hand, a bedroom may require a small capacity air purifier.
A high CADR air purifier is best for living rooms or large houses.
As high CADR denotes a larger volume of air purification per cycle, these air purifiers are ideal for large ventilated houses.
BEST AIR PURIFIER FOR PATIENTS WITH ALLERGIES
A large ACH purifier is ideal for people with allergies and asthma.
ACH indicates the number of times, the air in the room is purified per hour. Patients with allergies and asthma may require frequent purification of air.
BEST AIR PURIFIERS BASED ON ROOM SIZE
Based on the size of rooms, the air purifiers are categorized as:
- Room area from 100 to 250 Sft requires small air purifiers. – Ideal for bedrooms.
- Room area from 300 to 700 Sft requires medium air purifiers. – Ideal for Living rooms.
- Room area much larger than 700 Sft require large air purifiers
ADDITIONAL FEATURES THAT I NEED TO CHECK BEFORE BUYING AN AIR PURIFIER
Wifi operated air purifiers
Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier, Heater + Fan – HEPA Air Filter, Space Heater and Certified Asthma + Allergy Friendly, WiFi-Enabled
Air conditioners with air purifiers
These are the best appliances that I prefer in the summer.
BEST PLACE TO KEEP MY AIR PURIFIER
WHAT ARE THE MAINTENANCE COSTS OF AIR PURIFIER?
Remember! do not ever fall into the trap of cheap air purifiers. I have seen some air purifiers whose filters cost much higher than the purifier itself.
HEPA filters are much cheaper to maintain when compared to remaining filters. But they require frequent replacement.
The efficiency of a HEPA filter and Carbon filters decreases along with time. On the other hand, electrostatic precipitators maintain constant efficiency.
Some machines are equipped with pre-filters. They help in the initial filtration of the air and aid in the longevity of the filter.